Are all American Whiskeys Bourbon? Are all Bourbons American Whiskeys?
All Bourbons are American Whiskey, but not all American Whiskeys are Bourbon.
In 1964, the American Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as “a distinctive product of the United States.” It is also recognized as a “distinctive product” of the U.S. by 44 countries.
It must be distilled to no more than 80% or less than 40% alcohol by volume and bottled at a minimum of 40% ABV / 80 Proof. Bourbon must be aged for some time in new, charred oak barrels and cannot include coloring, flavoring, or other spirits. Bourbon that has been aged for at least two years may be further designated as “straight.”
Can be made anywhere in the United States
Mash bill must be at least 51% corn. The remaining 49% can consist of malted barley, rye or wheat.