American Rye Whiskey
American Rye Whiskey largely disappeared after the 1920s, but has made a resurgence over the past decade.
American Rye Whiskey, as with bourbon, must be aged for some time in new, charred oak barrels with no added coloring, flavoring or other spirits. American Rye Whiskey that has been aged for at least two years may be further designated as “straight,” as in “Straight American Rye Whiskey.”
Can be made anywhere in the United States
Mash bill must be at least 51% rye. The remaining 49% can consist of malted barley, corn or wheat.